There are some food names that make me smile immediately.
And then there’s Sloppy Joes
I’m already smiling. Are you? I’m not exactly sure why the name makes me smile, but it does. Maybe it’s because I know that it’s completely OK to get messy when you eat them, regardless of what age you are. Or maybe it’s because they’re so good. Either way, they’re a favorite at our house. Here’s a great, homemade recipe. It’s better than anything you can buy in a can, and it’s just as easy.
Sloppy Joe Recipe
- 1 pound Clover Meadows Beef all natural grass fed ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- In a skillet, brown beef, onion and green peppers. Cook until meat is browned and vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic powder, dry mustard, ketchup, water, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon meat over the bread to make a delicious sandwich.