Who needs take-out when you can make delicious Mongolian Beef at home in your crock pot! This easy slow cooker recipe comes together with flank steak or stew meat, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and soy sauce.
How do you make slow cooker mongolian beef?
Take out is great, but it can also be very expensive. This recipe is SO easy, and your family will love it.
- Cut the beef into thin strips across the grain. Next, coat with cornstarch and place beef in slow cooker.
- Add the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, carrots and other seasonings to the slow cooker.
- Slow cook all day. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with cooked rice.
Ingredients for slow cooker mongolian beef
- Flank steak, hanger steak, skirt steak, or stew meat. (see below why any of these cuts will work)
- Corn Starch
- Minced Garlic
- Minced Ginger
- Soy Sauce (we prefer low sodium soy sauce)
- Brown Sugar
- Carrots (optional)
- Green onions and and sesame seeds for garnish
What cut of beef is best for Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef?
Here’s something that every home cook should know — there’s tons of flavor in less expensive cuts of meat. The trick is to make those cheaper cuts right.
Similar to our popular slow cooker pepper steak recipe, this mongolian beef recipe calls for either flank steak, hanger steak, skirt steak, or stew meat.
We talk a lot on our site about matching the cut of beef with the correct beef cooking method. Each of these cuts are from hard-working muscles on the cow, which means they’re a little tougher and they need the longer, slower cook time to become soft and tender.
If you were making this recipe on the stove-top, we recommend flank steak or skirt steak. However, since this recipe is in the slow cooker, you have more flexibility with your beef choices.
What to serve with Mongolian Beef?
We love to serve Mongolian Beef over rice and garnish with the green onions and sesame seeds.
Why is it called Mongolian Beef?
Mongolian beef was created in Taiwan, which is where the first Mongolian restaurants started opening up. They made the Mongolian style of food popular which is why the name is carried with dishes like this one.
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak, hanger steak, skirt steak or stew meat thinly slice against the grain.
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Slice beef into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Slice against the grain. We highly suggest slightly freezing beef before slicing because it makes it much easier to cut thin slices.
- Place beef into a bowl with the cornstarch and toss to coat evenly.
- Place beef in slow cooker
- Add sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, carrots (if desired), brown sugar and water in the slow cooker. Stir to coat the meat in the sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or LOW for 4-5 hours.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seed. Serve with cooked rice, if desired.
One more thing!
Do you want to learn more about beef? Below are a few popular beef posts and recipes you may like. In addition, we have an entire ebook about beef that goes through purchasing and preparing beef from a farmers perspective.
- Buying a Cow. How Much Beef Is It?
- Is It Done Yet? The Best Meat Thermometer
- Defrosting Meat: 4 Safe & Easy Ways
- Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
- Prime Rib Roast with Garlic Herb Butter
We have a weekly e-newsletter where we share about farm happenings, when our next beef availability is, and all things beef. When you do, you’ll get a cheat sheet with 9-must-ask questions before buying beef directly from a farmer.
Do you have other questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We love to talk beef!
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more details.