You know a recipe is good when you forget to take a picture of it, and by the time you remember it’s all gone!
This recipe came about while searching for a breakfast casserole to make using ground beef. Most breakfast casserole recipes call for sausage and bacon and we don’t always have those ingredients on hand, but we always have ground beef at our house (I’m sure that’s not surprising).
Ground Beef, Spinach and Egg Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach (10 oz), thawed
- 4 cups hash brown potatoes, shredded
- 14 eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/3 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350.Cook ground beef in a large skillet, breaking into crumbles until beef is no longer pink. Add onion powder, garlic powder, pepper flakes and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir until ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Squeeze dry the thawed spinach and add it to the skillet. Stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Grease a 13×9 inch baking dish. Spread shredded hash brown potatoes in the dish and top with beef mixture. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, pepper, ricotta cheese and 1 tsp salt. Pour liquid into the 13×9 baking dish on top of the beef and hash brown potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and top with tomatoes. Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
The original recipe for this casserole is from Taste of Home and we modified it slightly.
Give it a try. We think you’ll love it like we do!
Looking for other beef recipes? Check out some of our favorite beef recipes.