This easy egg breakfast casserole with ground beef is made with eggs, veggies and cheese. It only takes a few minutes to throw together. It’s a healthy make-ahead breakfast casserole recipe that is the perfect hearty breakfast for any occasion.
This egg breakfast casserole with ground beef is quick to put together and feeds a crowd. It’s perfect for taking to a holiday brunch or when you have a house-full of guests and want an easy breakfast to serve.
Sometimes, you need a healthy make-ahead breakfast casserole. This breakfast casserole fits that requirement perfectly.
Typically, breakfast casseroles have sausage or bacon. We load ours up with ground beef and fresh veggies and greens instead. However, this is a very versatile recipe and you could use ground chicken, turkey sausage, ham, or sausage for the meat, and you can add just about any veggie.
Our entire family loves this casserole and it’s our go-to for breakfast and brunch. One of the best things about this recipe is you can easily customize it to your family’s preferences. The possible variations are endless.
How to make egg breakfast casserole with ground beef
The full recipe is below, but here’s a brief summary
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook ground beef until browned. Drain grease and set aside. You could also use another protein, such as sausage, turkey sausage, ham or ground chicken.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, milk, cheese, and salt and pepper until combined.
- Sautee veggies in the same skillet. We like to use red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and onion, but you could use other vegetables too. Set aside
- Add ground beef and vegetables to bowl with eggs, stir to combine. Pour into greased 9×13″ pan
- Bake until the eggs are cooked through. That’s it!
This recipe is infinitely adaptable! Here are a few ideas
Vegetables: Colorful peppers, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, kale and/or zucchini.
Meat: We like the added protein meat provides so we often use ground beef. However, we’ve also used sausage, turkey sausage, ham or ground chicken.
Can I make this egg breakfast casserole ahead of time?
Yes! This egg breakfast casserole recipe can be made a day ahead, or freeze it to bake another day.
To make one day ahead of time, prepare as directed, but store the egg, veggie and ground beef mixture in a mixing bowl or a prepared baking dish overnight. Cover and store unbaked in the refrigerator or overnight for up to one day. Bake in the morning according to recipe instructions.
To freeze, prepare as directed and add to pan. Cover well with plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and freeze for 2 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking according to recipe instructions.
Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13" pan with cooking spray
- Combine the eggs, sour cream, milk, cheese and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix until just combined.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat, breaking into small pieces. Cook until no longer pink. Drain the grease. Remove beef from skillet and add to the bowl with egg mixture.
- In the same skillet, add bell peppers and onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add other vegetables if desired.
- Pour mixture into greased 9×13" pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the edges are crisp nad a toothpick comes out clean. Slice and serve.
FAVORITE KITCHEN TOOLS:
ONE MORE THING!
Do you want to learn more about beef? Join our weekly e-newsletter where we share farm happenings, recipes and beef availability. Sign-up and get a cheat sheet with 9-must-ask questions before buying beef directly from a farmer. Or, we have an entire ebook about beef that goes through purchasing and preparing beef from a cattle farmers perspective.
Here are a few other links you may like:
- One Pan BBQ Beef Short Ribs
- Easy Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Meat Inspection: The Edible Stamp of Approval
- 7 Steps to Grilling a Steak to Perfection
- How We Raise Our Grass Fed Beef
- Easy Beef Brisket Recipe (oven-roasted)
- The Best Farm Books for Kids
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions are our own and we only recommend products that we truly believe in.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more details.