Pepper steak is quick, easy and perfect for any night of the week. This pepper steak stir fry is thinly sliced sirloin steak cooked with bell peppers in a savory sauce. You’ll have it on the table in under 20 minutes!
Pepper Steak is an easy weeknight meal that can be made in under 20 minutes. It’s faster than take-out and much healthier.
We make this recipe often, and it’s in our weeknight dinner rotation. If our schedule is going to be extra crazy, we also like the slow cooker pepper steak recipe on our site.
What type of beef is used?
We talk a lot about different types of beef cuts on our site.
In case there’s any confusion, “pepper steak” isn’t a specific cut of beef. You won’t find it on a label of packaged steak, like sirloin or flank steak.
Our go-to cut for this recipe is either sirloin or flank steak. You could also use round steak, but we prefer sirloin or flank.
To make your steak easier to slice, you can place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Partially freezing the meat firms it up and makes it easier to get super thin slices.
Helpful hint: If you don’t have any steak and your craving pepper steak, you can make the crockpot version of this recipe with stew meat, slow cooker pepper steak.
What type of bell peppers?
We often cook with bell peppers, and for this recipe we like to use a variety of colors – green, red, orange and yellow. Whatever color bell peppers you have on hand will work.
Some bell peppers are sweeter than others. Red, yellow and orange peppers are typically sweeter than green peppers.
How to store, freeze and reheat
- Store: Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or warm leftovers in a skillet on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Freeze: Store in airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight before reheating.
Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- 1 lb Sirloin steak, Flank Steak or Round Steak thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Slice beef into thin slices, approximately 1 inch long.* Place in a bowl and add 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of rice wine, 1 tsp cornstarch and black pepper.
- Heat large pan on medium high heat. Add 1 tsp of oil. Add the onions and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Remove from the pan, transfer to a plate, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp water and 2 tsp cornstarch. Set aside.
- Add 2 tsp of oil to pan. Add the beef to the pan, spreading evenly so it can cook. Allow beef to brown for first 30 seconds. Then, stir meat, cooking approximately 5 minutes until browned.
- Add vegetables to the pan, and pour the sauce over the steak mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until sauce has just thickened, then serve.
Other beef recipes you’ll love
- Slow cooker pepper steak
- Stuffed bell peppers
- Easy beef brisket
- Bell peppers and beef stew
- Prime rib with garlic herb butter
Kitchen products we love
One more thing! eBook & farm updates
Did you know we have an entire ebook about beef that goes through purchasing and preparing beef from a farmers perspective. Get it here.
If you’d like to keep up with our farm, we have a weekly e-newsletter where we share about farm happenings, beef recipes, and when our next beef will be available to order. When you sign up, you’ll get a cheat sheet with 9-must-ask questions before buying beef directly from a farmer.
Pin it for later!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions are our own and we only recommend products that we truly believe in.
We participate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. See our disclosure policy for more details.