We discovered something new — the amazing and flavorful Italian Beef Sandwich.
How have Matt and I missed these before?
I really don’t know, but we have some catching up to do! These have become one of our new favorites.
The crazy (and embarrassing) part of this is that we may not have had an Italian Beef Sandwich if it hadn’t been for a customer that contacted us and said she wanted to buy a quarter beef specifically so she could make Italian Beef.
At first, I thought she was talking about a specialty cut of beef that I had never heard of before. A quick Google search revealed that “Italian Beef” looked amazing and we had to try it immediately.
I admit that I’m very new to making these, but from everything I’ve read, the traditional way is an Italian Beef crock pot recipe so that the meat has a chance to soak-in all of the flavor. I’ve always been a huge huugge fan of crock pot recipes, but that’s where this story takes a twist. I discovered you can make an Italian Beef Sandwich with leftover roast – and it’s amazing too.
I discovered this leftover trick a few weeks ago on accident. I made an Arm Roast in a crock pot with a traditional salt and pepper rub. I put it in the crock pot that morning before leaving for work, and then because of an unexpected family emergency, we didn’t get home until 11 PM that night. That left me trying to figure out what to do with an entire roast as leftovers. I got creative and started making all kinds of meals with roast as the meat in the dish. This is one of those creative recipes.
Here’s what you do…
First, cut up the roast into chunks of beef. Make the sizes however large or small you want. We used a Grass Fed Beef Arm Roast, but you can use other roasts too.
Next, add one envelope of Italian salad dressing mix, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2-1 cup pepperoncini pepper slices and splashes of juice, and 1/2 cup water in a frying pan. You’ll cook this on a mid-heat until it’s thoroughly mixed.
Then, add the cut-up pieces of roast. Bring it to a boil, and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
While that’s simmering, cut your hoagie buns in half and then toast them in the oven.
Once the buns are toasted, spoon the Italian Beef mixture onto the bread and add provolone cheese slices. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted.
That’s it! Super easy and unbelievably good. Pin or print this recipe and enjoy!
Italian Beef Sandwich
- Arm Roast cooked, cut into large chunks
- 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 oz pepperoncini pepper slices and juice
- Provolone cheese slices
- Hoagie Buns
- Cut cooked roast into large chunks.
- In a frying pan, add one envelope of Italian salad dressing mix, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2-1 cup pepperoncini pepper slices and splashes of juice, and 1/2 cup water. Cook on medium heat until mixture is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the roast to the liquid mixture and bring to a boil. Then, lower heat to simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Lightly toast the hoagie roll. Place the Italian Beef mixture on the roll and then lay a slice of provolone cheese on top. Place under the broiler for 1-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Eat and enjoy it while it's hot!