Bacon wrapped filet mignon is a steakhouse classic that everyone loves.
Although it may seem like a no-brainer to put steak and bacon together (what could be bad about adding bacon or steak to anything?!) , there is actually some food science behind this culinary masterpiece.
One of the reasons many chefs cook filets this way is because filets come from the loin primal cut of beef and that means they have slightly less marbling. This makes it a very healthy cut, but it also has less natural flavor than a well-marbled cut like a ribeye. If you wrap the filet in bacon, it brings some added flavor and moisture to the steak while you’re cooking it.
This recipe is simple, but elegant. Most people only make this for special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. However, since it only takes about 20 minutes to make, we occasionally have it on weeknights too.
Let us know what you think of this easy bacon wrapped filet mignon recipe!
Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon
- 4 1 inch thick Filet Steaks
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 Tablespoons minced onions or shallots optional
- Rub both sides of steak with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap one slice of bacon around each steak. Secure with toothpick.
- Place steaks on broiler pan and broil on high for 5 minutes.
- Turn steaks over. Sprinkle the top with shallots or onions, if desired.
- Broil for additional 4 minutes.
- Use a meat thermometer or touch test to ensure steaks are cooked to your desired doneness
- Let steaks rest approximately 10 minutes.